Sunday, May 23, 2021

BeHa'alotecha: From the Diary of Joshua the High Priest

Hebrew

The most striking connection between this week’s Torah reading (Numbers 8-12), which opens with a commandment to light the menorah in the Tabernacle and the Temple, and the Haftarah (Zechariah 2:14-4:77) is the menorah that appears in the prophet’s vision. However, I see an additional connection: the loneliness of a true leader: Moses in the Torah and Joshua the High Priest during the return of Zion. Unlike Moses and the Israelites who left Egypt, the immigrants from Babylon did not receive operational orders from on high. Therefore, the national leader was required to decide how and when to resume the sacrificial service, whether to wait for construction of the Temple to be completed or before? The decision to renew the sacrifices before construction was finished was controversial, and it is easy to imagine the anxiety felt by the High Priest who made the decision and bore responsibility. Let’s take a look at his diary:

From the diary of Joshua, the high priest:

The foundations for the Temple have been laid, and now we face a dilemma. Should we renew the sacrificial service, at least in part, as soon as possible or wait until everything is completely constructed and perfectly in place? Most of my fellow priests want to wait, so we can serve exactly according to the rulebook. I understand their anxiety. An error in the sacred service could be fatal. But there are other concerns. The construction itself is not the goal, serving God is. What would God want us to do? Without the Urim and Tumim, we have no way to know. And there are the people. They are restless and want to see progress. Otherwise, I fear they will want to leave this rocky hill country and return “home” to Persia.

After much consideration, today I announced that as high priest, I am taking responsibility. Sacrifices will be renewed. I accept upon myself any and all guilt.

A few weeks later:

I doubt the rightness of my decision; I am overwhelmed with anxiety. I can hardly sleep and am losing weight. My family is terrified.

The next day:

Last night, as I mentally reviewed the procedures for Yom Kippur, meditated on pronouncing the Ineffable Name, and imagined myself stepping into the Holy of Holies, an angel of the Eternal appeared. He reached out his hand and led me deep inside. It was very dark. I was terrified. I prayed that my wife and children would understand that I had sacrificed myself for the sake of God and God's people.

Burst of light

Suddenly, I was in a space full of light. I could not see but knew that I was in the presence of The One Who-Was-Is-Will-Be. I wanted to prostrate myself but could not move. I was horrified to realize that my garments were stained with sin, mine and those of my people. The Accuser began to speak, but the Holy Blessed One silenced him. “This is a brand plucked from the fire. Joshua, my servant, you acted to benefit My people and therefore, I have removed your guilt.” My filthy garments were exchanged for clean ones, a diadem was placed on my head, and my commission renewed.

Then, the cock crowed, and I was in my room in Jerusalem, almost late for work. Already dressed (how did that happen?), I slipped on my sandals and hurried to the Temple. At the entrance, Zechariah stopped me. Without word, his prophetic eyes caught mine. He stared into my soul and nodded. I returned the nod, and went on my way.

Leading the people and settling this land is no small task. It requires daring, risk taking and accepting responsibility. There is nothing new under the sun.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Passover 5784: A sandwich of hope

The need to observe Passover in the shadow of the attacks on October 7 th , and everything that has come after, has generated a wealth of li...