scroll down for Hebrew
My name is Miriam.
I am a prophet.
There’s also a
well; many wells actually, but they aren’t mine.
Let me explain.
Already at a
young age, there were moments when God blessed me with the ability to see things
clearly, even in a fog. This was the case when my parents separated following
Pharaoh’s decrees. In the midst of the fear and grief that enveloped us, I
understood that if my outstanding parents were to demonstrate fortitude and
hope by bringing a new life into the world, despite everything, that new person
would sow a seed of redemption[1] (honestly, I was hoping for a
little sister...).
My mother
Yocheved was smart and resourceful. When my brother grew and we could no longer
hide him, she set him afloat on the Nile, at a time and in a place where Pharaoh’s
daughter could be expected to appear. She also prepared me to take immediate
action, with a plan that would return him home.[2] We succeeded, and my brother’s
story is famous. I haven't told anyone what happened to me until now.
While I was
hiding among the reeds, the water enchanted me. I returned to the banks the
Nile many times. I gazed at the water, both in the river, and when rose and
overflowed its banks. I learned how water flows, how it is absorbed into the soil,
and how the ground appears after it retreats. Deep inside, I knew that one day
this information would be important. Another aspect of prophecy.
Years passed. The
seed of redemption sprouted. We left Egypt. After crossing through the sea,
facing the reeds, I rose up singing and swept all the women after me with timbrels
and dancing.
We rose up and came crashing down. There was no potable water at Marah. Or at Rephidim. We weren’t in Egypt. There’s no Nile in the desert, and we didn’t know how to find water in the wilderness. At Marah, my brother sweetened the water with a trick he had learned years earlier, on his way to Midian. At Rephidim, God arranged for water to flow from a rock. Miracles and wonders. Real ones. But inadequate to provide for the needs of an entire nation for a one-and-a-half or two years (according to the original plan) in an arid region.
![]() |
| A well in the Sinai desert (Thomasccnawiki via Wikimedia Commons) |
I left the camp, surveyed
the area, and examined the terrain. I took a pointed stick, tested the ground, dug
some holes and found water.
As a token of
gratitude, the people wanted to name the well after me. I was flattered, but I
also wanted them to learn from me. My wisdom and knowledge stemmed, in part,
from prophecy, but also from careful observation, patience, and effort. I
couldn’t find any apprentices.
Our time in the
desert was extended beyond expectations. Far beyond expectations. I’ve grown old.
My vision has deteriorated. My legs have weakened. I worry that I do not have
long to live. We arrived in Kadesh yesterday. I am no longer able to leave the
camp, survey the terrain and identify the location of the spring. What will
happen? I’m afraid; not of death, but for the people.
“For their sakes,
do not withhold water…..”[3] “Into God’s hands, I place my
soul.”[4]
“Miriam died there and was buried there and the community was
without water” (Num. 20:1-2)
[3] Prayer for rain said on Shmini Atzeret,
[4] Adon Olam hymn
פרשת חוקת: באר מרים(?) | שושנה מיכאל צוקר, תמוז
תשפ"ו
שמי
מרים.
אני
נביאה.
יש
גם באר, בארות רבות בעצם, אבל הן אינן שלי.
אסביר.
כבר
בגיל צעיר היו רגעים שבהם ה' חנן אותי ביכולת לראות דברים ברורים בתוך ערפל. כך
היה כאשר הורי נפרדו בעקבות גזרות פרעה. בתוך הפחד והאבל שעטף אותנו, הבנתי וראיתי
כי אם הורי המעולים ידגימו נחישות ותקווה ויביאו חיים חדשים לעולם, אף על פי כן
ולמרות הכול, החיים האלו יזרעו זרע של גאולה[1]
(האמת, קיוויתי לאחות קטנה...).
אמי
יוכבד הייתה חכמה ומתוחכמת. כאשר אחי גדל ולא יכולנו עוד להסתיר אותו, היא השיטה
אותו על היאור במקום ובשעה שבת-פרעה צפויה להגיע, וגם הכינה אותי להיכנס לפעולה
מיידית, עם הצעה המתוכננת להחזיר אותו אלינו הביתה.[2]
הצלחנו, והמשך סיפורו של אחי מפורסם. מה שקרה לי לא סיפרתי עד עכשיו.
בזמן
שהסתתרתי בין קני הסוף, המים הקסימו אותי. חזרתי לשפת היאור שוב ושוב. התבוננתי
במים, בתוך היאור וגם כאשר גאו ועלו על גדותיו. למדתי את דרכם, איך הם זרמו, איך
נספגו בקרקע ואיך נראים פני האדמה כאשר הם נסוגו. בתוככי ידעתי שיום אחד הידיעות
האלו תהיינה חשובות. פן נוסף לנבואה.
עברו
שנים. זרע הגאולה נבט. יצאנו ממצרים. על שפת הים, מול הסוּף, התרוממתי בשירה
וסחפתי אחרֵי את כל הנשים בתופים ובמחולות.
התרוממנו
והתרסקנו. במרה לא היו מים לשתות. וגם ברפידים. יצאנו ממצריים. במדבר אין יאור. לא
ידענו איך למצוא מים במדבר. במרה, אחי המתיק את המים עם "פטנט" שלמד
לפני שנים, בדרכו למדיין. ברפידים, ה' ארגן לו מים מן הצור. נסים ונפלאות. באמת.
אבל לא מספיקים לספק צרכיהם של עם שלם לשנה וחצי-שנתיים (לפי התוכנית המקורית)
באזור צחיח.
יצאתי
מן המחנה, התבוננתי סביבי. בחנתי את הקרקע. לקחתי מקל מחודד, בדקתי, חפרתי ומצאתי
מים.
לאות
תודה, העם רצה לקרוא את הבאר על שמי. זה החמיא לי אבל רציתי גם שילמדו ממני. אמנם
חכמתי וידיעותיי נבעו, באופן חלקי, מן הנבואה אבל גם מהתבוננות, סבלנות ומאמץ.
לא מצאתי מתלמדות.
זמננו
במדבר הוארך מעבר למצופה. הרבה מעבר למצופה. אני זקנתי. כהו עיניי. רגלי נחלשו.
אני חוששת כי ימי ספורים. הגענו אתמול לקדש. כבר אינני יכולה לצאת אל השטח, לראות
את פני הקרקע, לזהות את מקום המעיין. מה יהיה? אני פוחדת. לא מן המוות אלא בעבור
העם.
בַּעֲבוּרם
אַל תִּמְנַע מָיִם....[3]
בְּיָדוֹ אַפְקִיד רוּחִי.[4]
"וַתָּמׇת
שָׁם מִרְיָם וַתִּקָּבֵר שָׁם וְלֹא־הָיָה מַיִם לָעֵדָה" (במדבר כ:א-ב).

No comments:
Post a Comment